SEA TURTLE｜Suffocation after being blocked by a 12 cm plastic straw
It’s reported that a group of researchers found a very big turtle in Costa Rica. It looked painful and the nose was bleeding. The turtle must be very painful. And this pain may have been maintained for many years.
In the end, the researchers found a 12 cm long plastic straw in the nasal cavity!
Normally, the turtle's stomach contains the most garbage like plastic bags and toothbrushes. This turtle may have used straws as its own food. Like humans, the digestive tract and the respiratory tract entrance in the turtle's body are connected. Inadvertently swallowed the straw, but got stuck in the throat and tried to spit it out. When vomiting, something will come out of the nostrils. Since then, the nostril was blocked by a plastic straw, and it became increasingly difficult to breathe.
Plastic straws are generally used once and then immediately discarded as garbage. The number of plastic straws consumed annually in the world has reached 500 million, and the number is also increasing. One can imagine how many animals in the ocean are suffering from plastic straws that make breathing difficult, like this turtle.
Every marine creature must hope that humans will stop littering plastic garbage and destroying the blue ocean on which they depend.
For example, the world-renowned coffee brand Starbucks announced that it will phase out disposable plastic straws by 2020, and more and more countries and companies also have begun to restrict the use of plastic straws. This is a very good environmental protection behavior.
Each of us has a responsibility to make our earth home cleaner and more beautiful.